Savings at Ballinderry Bridge Credit Union Limited
We all know the merits of saving money, either for something specific or for that "rainy day". The big difference between your credit union and any other savings account is that members own the credit union. Our Philosophy has always been to look at things differently.
The core idea is this:
- Your savings with the credit union are called ‘Shares’. We also have deposit accounts.
- Each share you hold is eligible for a dividend should your credit union declare one.
- In the event of your death your credit union savings are insured - subject to terms, conditions and eligibility criteria - at no direct cost to you.
- No matter how much you have saved, all members aged 16 or over, have equal voting rights on issues affecting their credit union.
Each and every £1 you save is equivalent to 1 share in the credit union. If you begin to save regularly it won’t be long before you build up a healthy balance.
- Maximum total shares of £8,000
Some of the many benefits of saving with Ballinderry Bridge Credit Union Limited:
- Easy access to your money once it is not used as security against a loan
- No hidden charges or fees on any transactions
- Life savings insurance for eligible members (see more information below)
- Nomination of account proceeds (see more information below)
When you save with us you are also building a history which will be taken into account in the future should you wish to apply for a loan.
If we accrue a surplus, the credit union may declare a dividend following the end of the financial
year. If so, you will get a return on each share you hold. In the meantime, the money you’re saving is
being used to provide loans to your fellow members.
You can withdraw money whenever you want - provided the money is not pledged as security on a
loan and subject to credit union rules.
Built in Life Savings Insurance
Eligible members’ savings are covered by Life Savings Insurance at no direct cost to you. Life Savings
insurance is the life insurance cover your credit union takes out for all eligible members as an additional
incentive to save regularly and maintain savings with the credit union.
The insurance amount is paid, in the event of your death, in addition to the amount of savings held in the credit union and will depend on your age and how much you have saved with your credit union over the years. Withdrawals may affect the amount of insurance payable. Click here for more information.
Nomination of your accounts
This is a unique facility for credit union members. Credit unions have a nomination facility whereby if you are over 16 years of age you can nominate who is to receive the property of your accounts with the credit union upon your death.
This is of benefit if the member dies without leaving a will as the property left in the credit union will not have to pass through the sometimes timely intestacy process. Contact a staff member for more information today - firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on any section below to expand view
Credit Unions in Northern Ireland are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). Please go to http://www.fscs.org.uk for more information.
In addition to this, the Savings Protection Scheme (SPS) owned and operated by the Irish League of Credit Unions is also available to proactively intervene to protect members' savings by making available financial assistance to help any credit union which may experience difficulties.
Also, members’ savings are insured through Life Savings Insurance (subject to certain terms and conditions). For more details, visit the Insurance section.